The article aims to describe how to fix send or receive an Error in Microsoft Outlook. It will guide you through the steps that are needed to fix the error which appears whenever you try to send or receive emails in Microsoft Outlook or in Outlook Express. If you possess an Outlook version among 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and 2003, this article is for you.
Although MS Outlook supports a lot of functions but its sole aim is to send or receive emails for communication purposes. Both MS Outlook and Outlook Express are email clients which are widely used in today’s world in establishing a formal connection. Likewise, it also faces some sorts of issues. In the event that something doesn’t work in like manner, Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express will demonstrate an error. One frequently occurring error is “Send or receive Error” which bothers the users. So, let’s discuss the ways to troubleshoot send or receive Error.
Some frequent Outlook and Outlook Express send or receive errors
The various send or receive errors occur mainly due to syncing or some other issues. Here is a list of some errors that you may encounter.
- Outlook receiving error 0x80042108A
- Microsoft Outlook send receive error 0x800ccc0f
- Outlook send receive aol [pii_email_38c461df286a4e271053]
- Send or receive error 0x80040600
- Outlook send or receive error 0x8004010f
- MS Outlook send or receive error 0x80040610
- No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
- “A time-out occurred while communicating with the server” error Code 0x800ccc19
- The server could not be found.
- “None of the authentication methods supported by this client is supported by your server” error Code 0x800ccc80
Methods for troubleshooting send or receive errors in Outlook
Sometimes, it is not easy to resolve these send or receive errors. But, don’t worry. By going through the below methods, you’ll be able to fix these send or receive errors. You must verify the processing of your Outlook after following each method and proceed to next only if your Outlook doesn’t function properly.
#1 Assure your internet connection-
You must assure your internet connection. Sometimes, people ignore this trivial issue of internet connectivity and remain stuck-up with errors for hours. To check this, just go to a website on any web browser. If your internet is not working, proceed to method no. 2
#2 Delete large outgoing and suspected mails-
Although Outlook and Outlook Express actively detect the suspicious and bulky email messages but it is possible that some malicious or spam message is present in your mailbox. Open your webmail account, delete the suspicious emails and verify the functioning of Outlook before proceeding.
#3 Review firewall settings and disable email scanning with Anti-Virus program-
Firewall and Anti-Virus can put restriction to smooth flow of emails. So, disable these settings in your system. You can disable the Anti-Virus integration by following these steps-
Outlook 3 and older versions:
- Click on “Tools” and scroll down to “Options”.
- Click on “Advanced Settings” and select “Add-in Manager” or click on the “COM Add-Ins” button.
- Now disable the required Add-in.
- Go to the “Tools” menu and scroll down to “Trust Center” and choose “Add-ins” which is shown on the left pane.
- Now move down at the bottom of the page and click “Manage” and disable the add-in.
Outlook 2010 and 2013:
- Go to the “File” menu, select “Options” and then choose “Add-ins”.
- Click on “Manage” and scroll down to “add-in category” and disable anti-virus add-in.
#4 Check Outlook email account settings-
Improper configuration of email account may lead to errors. So, it is necessary to configure your Outlook email account properly. You can take these steps for this.
- Review the email address with which the account is integrated.
- Check the type of email account among IMAP, POP3 or HTTP.
- Verify you email id and password.
- Check the name and address of the email account server: IMPA or HTTP or POP3.
- Check the email port numbers.
#5 Repair MS Outlook application-
Sometimes Outlook installation seems to be corrupt. You have to re-install it. You can also repair it but the repair is only available for Outlook versions 2010 and 2013.
To repair, open the control panel and choose the program that is needed to be repaired. Right-click on it and choose “Quick Repair or Online Repair” from the options. This will fix the required files and probably make Outlook functional again.
#6 Start Outlook in safe mode-
Safe mode of Outlook version helps the users to detect and fix the problem during a fault start. To run Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express in safe mode, hold on the CRL key and click on application shortcut. Click “Yes” to proceed.
#7 Fix PST with inbox repair tool (ScanPST.exe) –
If above methods are not able to resolve the issue of send or receive errors, it might be a faulty PST file issue. To repair the PST file, one can use Microsoft inbuilt inbox repair tool (sacnPST.exe). Launch this tool and follow the instructions to repair PST file.
The above methods are explained keeping all the possible issues that could be the reasons behind the error in sending or receiving emails. If these methods are not able to resolve or troubleshoot the send or receive error, it might be possible that your PST file has been severely corrupted. In this case, you have to use a third-party PST Repair tool. Using a PST repair tool will definitely fix the send or receive error.