When minerals are present in excess in your body, they tend to accumulate in the kidneys to form kidney stones or renal calculi. Hence, kidney stones are the hardened masses or crystal formed from the minerals.
Kidney stones may go unnoticed until they cause the sudden symptoms. The common symptoms of the kidney stones include the following:
- Intense throbbing pain just below the ribs, radiating to back and the groin region.
- Difficulty in emptying the bladder and the frequent urge to go to the loo.
- Burning sensation while passing urine
- Sometimes reddish color of the urine due to presence of blood cells
It is obvious after knowing these symptoms that kidney stones should be treated in time. Through this blog, you will get familiar with the tips that aid in easy passing of kidney stones.
So, without any further delay lets put forth the 5 effective tips to pass kidney stone fast:
- Drink Water- A lot of it- The effectiveness and importance of water and hydration for passing kidney stones cannot be stressed enough. Drinking plenty of water can not only help you pass the existing stones, but also prevent the prevention of more stones. If you are looking for ways to pass the kidney stone faster, make sure that you drink at least 10-12 glasses of water each day.You can also try some other hydrating and detox juices like barley water, basil water or pomegranate juice to speed up the process of flushing the stone.
- High-oxalate foods are a big no- Oxalate stones are the most common type of kidney stones and these form due to the presence of excess uncombined oxalate in the body. Therefore, if you are already struggling with the troubles of kidney stones, it is better to monitor the amounts of oxalate you intake. Refrain from eating foods that contain high amounts of oxalate. Also, make sure that your diet contains enough calcium, so that the calcium combines with the oxalate before forming stones.
- Plant-based protein should be your choice- Animal protein sources like seafood, meat, eggs, etc increase the levels of uric acid in the body, and consequently the chances of uric acid stone formation also increases. Thus, it is better not to rely on animal-based protein sources for your daily protein requirements. Rather, switch to plant-based protein sources like tofu, chia seeds, quinoa, oats etc. to ensure healthy functioning of the urinary system.
- Limit the sodium intake- Excessive salt and sodium consumption can trigger the excretion of large quantities of calcium through the urine. This can trigger the growth of the existing stones, and the formation of newer kidney stones as well. Therefore, if you want to get rid of kidney stones as soon as possible, keep an eye on the sodium you eat. Remember not to cut salt entirely, as you need to fulfill your requirements of iodine as well.
- Have more citric acid in natural form- Citric acid and natural citrate present in lemons, limes and oranges is one of the best things for stones in the kidney. The citrate prevents minerals from sticking to the stones and thus prevents them from increasing in size. Moreover, citrate is also quite effective in disintegrating stones into smaller pieces in the mild cases. These smaller stones can easily travel through the urinary tract and thus passing them is very easy.Therefore, try to increase your citrate and Vitamin C intake. However, do not rely on supplements for the same. Instead, fulfill these requirements through natural sources.
Well, this is not all for you. We have a few more amazing natural treatments for you that speed up the dissolving and passing out kidney stones.
- Try to keep yourself active. Make mild exercising such as brisk walk, jogging, a part of your routine. This maintains the optimal blood circulation to the kidneys. Hence, prevent toxic accumulation that can form kidney stones.
- Certain yoga poses also enhance the blood flow to the kidneys and stimulate their functioning. So, Cobra pose, Camel pose, and Eagle pose prove to be effective in passing small kidney stones.
- Keep away from consuming alcohol and smoking cigarettes. These habits can trigger the intense symptoms of kidney stones and make your condition worse.
When you are unable to pass the kidney stones…
If management tips and the remedies are not very successful in speeding up the passing of kidney stones, your doctor may prescribe certain medications. These medicines loosen the walls of the urinary tract to facilitate the easier flushing of kidney stones.
However, the ureter can stretch upto a maximum of 5-6 mm. So, if you have a stone larger than 6 mm in diameter, there is a high possibility of the stone getting stuck and emergency conditions may arise. Therefore, for such stones, doctors usually advise undergoing surgical treatment.
Surgery for kidney stones
Due to the advancements in technology, many modern and effective surgical techniques for kidney stone treatment have come into existence. You can undergo any of the modern surgeries (laparoscopic surgery, shock wave lithotripsy, laser lithotripsy) for quick and permanent relief from kidney stones.
In laparoscopic surgery, the surgeon removes the stones through minor incisions using laparoscopic equipment. On the other hand, in shock wave lithotripsy and laser lithotripsy, the surgeon uses shock waves or laser beam to crush the stones into smaller pieces so that they can be easily flushed out through the urine.
All the three advanced surgical procedures are minimally invasive and absolutely painless. These do not involve any risk of infections or complications and do not leave behind any scars. The downtime is not very long and with just a few minor precautions, you can get back to your normal routine within a couple of days.
The benefits of these modern surgeries make it the most suitable treatment option for people nowadays. Therefore, a large number of hospitals now offer advanced surgeries.
One healthcare provider that you can consult for a reliable and safe treatment of your kidney stone problem is Pristyn Care. They are associated with the best urologists in Delhi and use USFDA approved techniques for treating kidney stones. All you need to do is book your appointment online, consult their specialist and undergo the treatment at a Pristyn Care partner hospital near your place
Kidney stones are a very common yet problematic health condition. Not paying proper attention to kidney stones can have serious repercussions on your health. Thus, you should implement the above-mentioned tips and get advice from your nearest specialist to ensure that your kidney stones pass as soon as possible. If passing them is not possible, undergo the recommended treatment to get rid of kidney stones once and for all.